Monday, December 11, 2006

125th Anniversary

If you think there are people who can make me write about them at the early hours of a working day that too on a Monday, when my boss is around me asking for reports and I dont listen to him and keep on writing...YES, there are... 1 living and 1 dead... I would rather say this way, out of those two, the living will die when my memory dies, the dead will never die.

Jesus died pinned to the cross;
Krishna by a swift arrow;
Even Rama yielded to death by water;
But I shall not die, 'tis certain

These are the words from the one whom I mentioned as dead. The words are live and so he lives and will never die. I am speaking about Subramanya Bharathi, the fearless fiery whom the world thought as a fanatic. He never bothered about the world and kept going with his beliefs which the present world is still finding difficult to adopt. His 125th anniversary today is celebrated by people around the world. His funeral was attended by just 14 people. :) WHAT A WORLD!!! Its like the verse "Pagalile kalakkal vaaramal Iruttile kannadich Enna Payan" meaning what is the point in serving water to the dead.

I thought I would listen to some songs of Bharathi which I havnt heard before. One such is "thikkuteriyaatha kaattil". Few lines from the song;

aNNA unadhadiyil vIzhvEn enai
anja kodumai solla vENdAm piran
kaNNAlam seidhu vitta peNNai undhan
kaNNAR pArtthidavum thaghumO?

Edi! sAtthirangaL vEndEn undhan
inbam vENdumadi kaniyE!
mUdi kirukkudhadi thalayai nalla
mudhai pazhaya kaLLai pOlE

I am extremely sorry for those who cannot follow the language. I tried my best in breaking my head to translate those lines, but unfortunately I am less proficient with Tamil. Will try to do that ASAP.

Yet another 125th anniversary to come for him...LONG LIVE BHARATHI

P.S: If someone is not able to follow this post, it's your disinterest in the post.

No comments: