Friday, November 06, 2009

Today and Global Warming

Gearing up with full protection to face the rain and facing just the clear sky, seems to become a daily habit for the next couple of months which is so called the monsoon season. I read a news about Al Gore (remember An Inconvenient Truth!). When I say his name I feel like yawning. The documentary he produced was like that. But today there was something which I thought about what he spoke and what I have witnessed.


His documentary was on Global Warming. I am a lazy fellow and a hesitant fellow to update myself by reading (the reason behind is I sleep after reading 2-3 pages). So, I haven’t made any research on how the events connect to Global Warming.

In Mumbai, usually the monsoon starts by June 1st week and gets over by August end or September 1st week. Few Mumbaikars tell approximate dates as well. This year it was worse that till August 1st week there were no rains and there were few spells during October. It is like the entire Monsoon getting shifted. “So what! What’s the big deal! As far as rain comes its okay right!” ask many. These are the people who actually destroy the environment. Lack of rains or patterns shifting is a result of Global Warming.


The same is not only in Mumbai but in Chennai too. Chennai receives its part of rain during September - November. Today the first week of November gets over and we have received only few hours of rain. Our people with no knowledge of what it is spoil the environment. Mostly I see the “Chalta hai re…” attitude. It all starts from small habits like “Do not split on the road”, “Litter only in dust bins” and all the first grade lessons. We have missed to follow and lack self discipline. The same guy who makes the entire nuisance polluting the environment here immediately changes his attitude while in a foreign country. Can he do all those in places like Dubai? He will not. He will be s*** scared even to think about doing it.


We got to wake up to this. Some time back there was another new article reading “India might lose its south – west monsoon soon”. The change should happen within. We as individuals have to do something. Reduce usage of plastic bags; plant more trees or whatever could help the environment. I with an advice from a friend have reduced the usage of plastic bags. I say no plastic bags wherever I already have a bag to accommodate the stuff I buy and I carry existing carry bags to the store. I hope you would follow it too.

We are losing out Green. Do check out what the world does to protect it and what you can do as an individual. Visit Hopenhagen. Let me know too. We have a responsibility to give a better world to our children like how we recieved it from our fathers.

2 comments:

Alin said...

very true.. in fact things like these need to be taught at school level, at a very early stage when the foundation of each and every individual's character is laid.

Most of us picked up habits from what we learnt in the early years, if we all had learnt this early on, we would have been better off..

R R R said...

very true my friend...