Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Fire…

I still remember that moment, when the Parade Officer with his baton struck with a huge force on my back. I was in the lying position with a Self Loading rifle (SLR) aiming at my target. The second I released the first bullet, the baton struck me. Turning back with fear and anguish I looked at the officer with a ‘Why’ look.

He asked me “Which is your target?”... “No. 4”, I replied

He asked “Then… where did you fire?”... Butterflies started flying in my stomach and brain.

I was in the Senior Division NCC of 13 Tamilnadu Battalion force. I was a first year cadet then. It was a thrilling and unforgettable experience for me that day. We had a very good drill (with rolls, monkey jumps) before we started firing.

Mighty sun was showing all its power on my head.

It was sweating and the weapon was about 10 kgs. It was 10 rounds to start with. The first one hit my co-cadet’s target earning me a slap from the baton.

Then, with the ache I pushed myself aggressively and finished my rounds.

I was having some tips on improvising from my co-cadet who said “I had hit all the 10 rounds in my target. The officer praised me for that”.

I was listening to him with a big ‘O’ in my mouth.

The proceedings came down earlier and the officer decided to give a chance with a superior weapon called Light Machine Gun (LMG), for those who had done well with the SLR.

The tip-guy (the guy who was giving me tips) was on a high. To his dismay, his name was not there in the list.
I was in a jubilant mood, not because of his rejection. My name was in the second place (from last) in the list.

That moment I saw a big ‘O’ larger than mine in the tip-guy’s mouth.

With a sense of pride having the LMG in hand and with perfection I released the trigger. That Parade Officer who hit me was nearby watching me. He posed a rewarding smile and said

“Go On... You will never miss your targets hereafter…”

The other bullets carried his words along with it.

It’s an unforgettable day in my life.

No comments: