Thursday, July 26, 2007

Potter Mania~Mahabharatha~Ramayana~Ambulimama~Panchatantra

Potter Mania is slightly decreasing in the city. It was actually disturbing me the fact that there were Qs in book stores to get the book on its FDR. What interested me was that some gentlemen who might find it difficult to get a packet of milk for their wives every morning were also standing in those Qs early morning at 6AM.

The response of the book was overwhelming the city and media says that its arguably most awaited book in history. (They meant the ages, not the history text book) This is the biggest achievement for Rowling and she has to be congratulated for the achievement. Not though for her achievement, I congratulate her for writing a series of books exclusively for children, be it fiction/fantasy/anything else. That’s the best thing I like about her.

I also heard people criticizing Potter books that they are spoiling our children and our own Mahabaratha and Ramayana are losing interest among them. I also read few columns on the same in leading dailies as well. To those out there, Mahabharatha and Ramayana aren’t meant for children. They are for erstwhile adults looking out fantasy/fiction forgetting the real world around them. Yes, I admit they are great epics and there is a lot to learn from them. But they have to be customized fitting to our interests if felt contemporary children have to show interest in those epics. If done so, there will be some groups emerging from nowhere to protest for customizing the great epics.

There were Panchatantra, Ambulimama which were equally interesting as Potter stories. Those did not have such marketing or promotional activities like Potter. I used to read panchatantra stories with fantasy and fiction. Children need better books suiting to the lifestyle and customs they are growing into.

Unfortunately, Harry Potter has become a style statement such that children who are strange to Potter are seen as distinct by their peers in institutions and parents are forced to get a book at least to showcase. But, somehow milk packets cant be kept in show cases, that’s why gentlemen hesitate to get them every morning I guess! We always have a valid reason behind every decision of ours., yeah!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey dude,
I agree with you...
However, I would like to add a few more points, as I have read all the Harry Potter stories and have also watched the movies released...
Above all, I am a Harry Potter fan
:)
Ramayana and Mahabaratha are words that keep ringing in almost every Indian's ears. I feel we can never compare those epics with Harry Potter, as the very names -- Rama and Krishna have a devotional note. I am sure nobody prays Harry Potter!!! It is an entertainment, a relaxation... Moreover, we get to read the first hand version of Harry Potter. I am pretty sure, nobody would have had a chance to read the first-version of Ramayana/Mahabharatha... as they are age-old...
I am not a fortune-teller or some kind of a sage, who predicts the future. But I think - say after another 50-60 years, the very name Harry Potter could fade away. Whereas, Ramayana and Mahabharatha will remain till eternity....
I would like to conclude stating... Do read and enjoy Harry Potter - it is great.
Do read and digest the wisdom that has been bequethed to our generation from our ancestors - Courtey - Ramayana-Mahabharatha-Panchathanthra-Jathaka-vikramadhithya-so on.....
There sure lies a difference...a huge, huge difference.
:)
Do correct me if I am wrong... :)