Monday, June 23, 2008

Honest Film Making

I was dragged to sit in a 45 minutes session with film maker Mahesh Bhatt. All I knew about him is that he is straight forward. What he spoke in the session was true, but I was unable to decide his words and deeds going along. I don’t bother about that too. That meeting did not actually make a difference except me being away from my desk for 45 minutes without any disturbance. It was unusual to hear about honesty, the real self and stuff like that from a film maker. I have heard it before from the ace director in South India – Maniratnam. I am a huge fan of his work – a huge fan to the extent that I was standing in front of his office for a week after my post graduation wanting to become his assistant.

Back to the topic:- I had felt unusual on what the film makers had to do with honesty. Honesty is not the lead character in the movie alone not getting hurt jumping from an altitude while others die. It is not even only incorporating these. Honesty should be in the script. If a scene is written, the consequences should follow rather than getting landed in a fiction. There are very few honest film makers in the industry and Maniratnam is definitely one of them. His message is clear. He says “You have to fight to attain peace in this world”. That’s a very true statement from him. Gandhiji fought for freedom. The aim was to attain peace and freedom, but it was fought. “Fighting with optimism makes the difference” is the message he has tried to convey in his movies like Roja, Bombay, Thalapathi, Saathiya and Guru. Each one of these was a feast for the senses. They were honest scripts with good imagination.

My question is why do we feel reluctant to act knowing they are true? Why do film makers make and release a movie which they themselves know will not be liked by their fans. Why do they stuff fiction and unnecessary elements in their movies? Twining fiction with a real story is good imagination, but why do the film makers don’t understand that it had to be told in a crisp and short manner? Why an actor does don different roles knowing very well that it will create a bad image for him?

No comments: