Friday, February 19, 2010

The Kite Runner

Kite Runner is a famous debut novel by Khaled Hosseini. I haven’t read the book, but watched the movie in 2007. It’s a wonderful work which will literally take your imagination to the happy lives of Afghan. It’s a story about two childhood friends who spend their lives kite fighting.

Kite fighting…yes…you don’t need introduction to this. If you are a localite who has spent times in proper Chennai, you will know what it is. Nowadays, there are organized kite festivals. When I wanted to fly a kite I usually do it from the terrace of my home. So do other guys as well. There will be a flock of kites flying and we make “deals”. The thread used is actually deadly. When I say “deadly” it is exactly what it means.

Google about the kite thread Manja to know how it is deadly.

Last week I was watching a movie. The hero is a very romantic guy who finds his love and is behind a girl whom he loves more than anything in the world. The girl after a very long time feels his love and they start to live their life. The hero takes her out and they have a very good time together where the girl says “I wont feel bad to die at this moment too as I am happy with you now than any other day in my life”. They then spot a bicycle and start riding it. Suddenly, the heroin gets her throat slit by a “Manja”. There is a huge blood loss and in the next frame, she dies. There was a sudden emptiness in the movie. Such a sweet, charming and adoring character is made end. This was a movie.

Yet that incident in the movie remained in my mind…An ex-colleague of mine, a popular radio jockey and a playback singer was on her way and fell victim to the “Manja”. I was shocked to hear the news from my friends! She was admitted in the ICU for 2 days and has had around 20 stitches. Now that she is improving and all our wishes are there for her speedy recovery.

The movie started with few lines meaning “You will all be fine till it happens to you”. I remembered it suddenly after hearing about the friend. It was only once I have used “Manja” as it gave a cut to my hand and used to smell “s***”. I think of those times when I used to chase kites running in the streets. Running across streets looking up the sky, navigating for a descending kite has more to it than you think. You got to indulge in it or atleast fly kites but do not use “Manja” and beware whenever you pass through those areas. Take care.

No comments: