Friday, March 05, 2010

Movies and our lives

Very often few movies make an impact on the lives of people. Few such are Godfather, Sholay, Rang de Basanti, Titanic and so on. A recent tamil movie of such kind is Vinnaithaandi Varuvaaya. Well, I wanted to blog about the songs of the movie brilliantly composed by our own Rahman. But, what I write now is entirely different from what I wished to.

While watching the movie, I felt that I was seeing myself in the screen. Starting from the hero of the movie wanting to become an assistant director and lot other things was very much related. (I wanted to make movies after my MBA and was in front of Madras Talkies office for a month, but managed to get into TV serials only. Gave the lead to another friend and I quit). I couldn’t make out whether I liked the movie or not! Two days passed and a friend of mine asked me whether I liked the movie or not. I told him what I felt. He said “That’s the feel of the movie” and everyone feels the same. My thought process started by itself! How come a director make every audience think about himself / herself in the movie? One hero, one heroine, one plot and how come everyone feels the same?? My friend added, “What shown in the screen is reality and that’s what is happening around the world…”

It was a love story. Boy falls in love with the girl and is behind her. The girl denies him. The boy then asks for friendship but has love in his mind. The girl after a long time accepts his love. They are in a relationship for some time and suddenly the girl drops a bomb saying “it’s all over”.

This is what happens in reality all over. Strange to think that this is the same what boys do and it’s the same girls do also. The catch is neither of us is going to change. Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus and we both live on Earth! We learn, adjust / compromise ourselves in future building a think tank that he / she is not the like the same person what we experienced in the past. Also it is not that there can be no change within at all. I know and have seen people who are really into each other and have stay put, but they are very few. Otherwise mostly its the girls calling the shots, few are mutual and rarely the guys call it quits. And now, I understand why this movie makes an impact on almost everyone.

Back to the movie, I couldn’t stop murmuring the songs. I saw the audio release of the album where all the singers performed live on stage. It was so mesmerizing. Lovely and soulful music from Rahman! This album from Rahman is like Sachin knocking a splendid knock of 200 after all these successful years of glory. My favorite pick from the album is the song “Anbil Avan”. The lyrics, composition, interludes, singers and every part of the song excels. This song brings a joyful mood with the lyrics meaning the basic wedding vows. The music takes us literally to a choir in church and flows to a temple wedding. Altogether the song is all about endless love and eternal bonding. Do hear the song especially the interludes. It’s a peppy number.

Lots of songs, either lack good lyrics or if there are good lyrics they lack good music. It’s rare that they both come together. This “Anbil Avan” song, “Hairathey” and “Tere Bina” from Guru are Rahman’s classic compositions. The beauty here in VV is, the lyricist is a female named “Thamarai”. Her earlier songs are super hits as well bringing out the emotions from a women’s perspective. One brilliant line from her in this movie is “Yen Idhayam Udaithai Norungave…En maru Idhayam koduppen nee Udaikave…” which means “You broke my heart scattering into pieces…Yet, I shall give it again for you to break…” Altogether, it was a good watch. Guess Swades was the last movie which made me sit glued into the screens along with the music before this movie.

No comments: