Thursday, December 24, 2009

Mistakes in my life

Robin Sharma’s blog posts get updated to me automatically as and when he writes. (Pls don’t ask me how. It’s a top secret!). His latest post was on mistakes. Reading that I started remembering all those I had done in my life so far and remembered the one from which I had learned which any teacher or book could teach. It happened in my work place and it’s something which the industry would have never seen so far. I wonder how I missed to share it here. I have to!

I was working in a private FM station. For those FM channels the only source of revenue was through the ads they get everyday. It means the revenue generated from ads is used for other expenses like salary, maintenance, marketing etc etc. There was an advertiser who was very difficult to crack and the sales executive won an exclusive campaign which was only for 5 days from them after some 1.5 yrs of follow up. My job was to schedule those ads according to the agreement signed and create a playlist for the entire day and send it to transmission. Ours was an 11 station network spreading upto 45 stations nationally. All 11 stations would be booking a schedule for every station.

As weekends are holidays, on Friday the schedule for next 3 days would be uploaded to for transmission altogether. One Friday as I was tired I decided to come on a Saturday and upload the schedule for Sunday and Monday. I came, did all the work, finalized the playlist but somewhere out of my mind, I missed to upload the playlist to transmission.

No advertisements were scheduled for transmission for 2 days and the day passed as well. The schedule included the most sought after campaign of that respectable advertiser as well. The whole day, the channel was getting aired without any advertisements on air. I realized it on Monday early morning and rushed to office and somehow managed for that day but the previous day was gone. I had already missed one particular schedule like this but this was for one full day which had advertisements from across the country and this exclusive campaign with us.

I got shocked in my spine and my boss was almost devastated hearing it. It was one day salary for all the employees took a toll because of my silly mistake. I got a severe bash from boss.

I was out of the world. My confidence in myself was negative. I decided to quit but did not have the guts because that job came to me after a struggle of some 1.5 yrs for money. Yet, I did not want to continue as I had no confidence. I was a hopeless guy and felt I was fit for nothing. I went to my head and the conversation started. I was almost choked of losing a job myself.

Me: Sir
Boss: Come In
Me: Sir, Im sorry for my mistake
Head: Your sorry won’t reverse what had happened
Me: I understand it Sir. I have lost my confidence in myself and I have decided to quit. But I need a job, so pls let me know if I can work in some other department at least as an intern.
Head: Take the seat. Sit down
(He offered me a glass of water)
Head: How old are you?
Me: 23 Sir
(After a short pause)
Head: “You are just 23! At this age you are bound to make 100 mistakes. You have just done 2 now. There are still 98 to get done. My advice to you is to not repeat the same mistake again and again. Quitting is not a make up; it’s escaping from the responsibility. You are honest that you admitted your mistake and it’s the good thing about you. Now, go on and carry on with your work. I will manage with what went wrong.”

Speechless, there were no words coming out of my mouth, not even a thank you. I went to my seat and the whole atmosphere had changed top down. I don’t know whether it was a fresh lease of confidence in me or something or anything else. But, the burden in me was away. I decided to continue in the same job. I quit the company after 2 years; I was handling revenues for 3 different business units. People who wanted me to quit were made shut and continue their work.

What happened here was that, this gentleman taught me a lesson for life. I still and will follow it. I do mistakes but don’t repeat them. However I’m have professionally grown now, it’s because of this gentleman Mr. Subbu, at present working as Marketing Head, Marg Constructions, Chennai. Sir, whether you read this or not, I thank you and I feel good now for taking that advice and I shall follow it for sure.

Most of our lives are full of mistakes. We are not taught what to do right at every situation and cannot be taught also because every situation changes. Life is not programmed and it’s not smooth. But, there are few qualities when we abide by it, makes our life smooth. Forget, forgive, share, care, love, support and stand by. This gentleman displayed all these qualities on me. I follow the same. I don’t remember what people have done on me. I don’t want to keep them in mind too. You guys try it out too.

“Mistakes when taken on a right way by forgetting and forgiving give us an opportunity to build more awareness and understanding and gain precious experience. Experience that will help us do, feel and be even better.” says Robin Sharma.

2 comments:

ram said...

anna.. i liked this writing of urs.. i say "YES" to mistakes... cos i grow dat way! lolz.. nice writ'n.. !

R R R said...

hey ramya, thanks..

actually, if we think in depth, there is nothing called 'mistakes' because no one tries to mess up with anything..question here is how many of us take it in a positive way not repeating them, forgetting, forgiving and stand by with each other...!