Monday, December 21, 2009

Runaway and Vanishing Brides

Runaway bride is a class movie made brilliantly with wonderful performances from Richard Gere and Julia Roberts. It’s a story of a reporter Ike who sets on to make a fact based report of a girl Maggie, who has a history of fleeing away from her fiancés. Finally Ike and Maggie fall in for each other and the wedding is set. On the bridal march, Maggie backs and flees leaving Ike. The reason was not that she felt Ike as the wrong person but she dislikes the big fat weddings. She then comes back and opens her mind to Ike.

“I love you, Homer Eisenhower Graham. Will you marry me?

[Maggie sits down, clears her throat]
I guarantee there'll be tough times. I guarantee that at some point, one or both of us is going to want get out…

But I also guarantee… [starts to cry] … that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life. Because I know in my heart... you're the only one for me.”

Wow! That was the touching moment of the movie. Way back in our daily life, every failed guy wants to hear the same from their sweethearts and the sweethearts too fail to see the whole picture around them both. I think forgetting, forgiving, changing themselves for better, commitment, understanding, care are all very much essential than the initial spark of love because these are the traits which keep the love burning bright at every stage. Both the partners got to have it for each other. We live in a fast paced world, gone are the days of Mills and Boons romance. And I keep pondering this: Afterall, life is once, who will not wish to live with the loved one thick and thin changing themselves for better!.

Well I guess I went off the topic for sometime! :)

Vanishing bride is a novel I have started with. It’s a very old novel and I have just finished few pages of it. Not a bad read though. Just an coincidence that both the movie and book are about brides in it and deals with relationships.

6 comments:

Vijay Ramani S said...

Hey Mate.....For a change y dont u write somethin about parents and childrens relationships??

Love is a generic term..doesnt mean only for partners right??:-)

R R R said...

ha ha...vijay, im neither a parent nor a child...

well, as you are my avid reader ;), i can try posting some of my childhood days..but thats something u already know right!!

Vijay Ramani S said...

Hi Dear
Even if u r 60 u are a child to ur parents. Once a child is born then the status of parents arrive to stay for ever(they might get addl posts-grand father etc) but still they remain parents of their siblings. But only the childrens think the other way. growing up they think they are no more kids, they know better than their parents etc..
Anyways back to the topic, what i was tryin to say was children doesnt mean the exact sense here(not baccha). It means a son-father\mother or daughter-father\mother realtionship.
In fact parents-children realtionship should get better when the children grow up.
So y dont u think on those lines and dedicate a few blogs to ur parents, huh???:-)

Cheers Always.....

R R R said...

oh dude, thats a good thought you said here..i will try to write something on that soon..thanks for your comments and keep reading..

btw, which vijay are you?

Vijay Ramani S said...

Vijay Ramani....... My dear brother:-)

R R R said...

oh u mr. parthasaarathy...!