Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Drive Safe and Responsibly

Two wheeler is the best option to travel in Chennai. Reason is the vehicle is compact and you can just give some cuts here and there and make your way. The other day I was travelling on these routes: Perungalathur-Taramani-Thiruvanmayur-Aminjikarai-Thiruvanmayur-Taramani-Perungalathur. It’s a distance of around 100 kms altogether. I would have not travelled this much if I was using a car or public transport and mostly time was a major factor.

I travel to office by a two wheeler which is 60 kms approx daily. It takes me 45 mins-1 hr to reach office as I travel in the bypass road partially. If I take a public transport it is 1.5 hr – 2 hrs. Although time is saved, the other side of this is travelling long in bike that too in a city is stressful. It is both physical and mental stress. The traffic chaos, people howling and shouting at each other are to be faced daily. All these early in the morning when we got to have a peaceful mind burst a good day. More worst are the accidents on road.

Today there was an accident on road. A couple was knocked down by a call taxi on the bypass road. I have to cross two rail level crossings on the way to office of which one of them is most stressful and dangerous. It is Chromepet Vaishnava college crossing. Almost daily there are accidents on the rail tracks. I encountered two accidents in the past just in minutes they occurred where one lost life and another, the limbs. It’s horrific when I think of it now. I couldn’t help much for the second one other than calling the ambulance and the hospital people were lethargic in answering the call. They were sounding as it was very usual. Part and parcel of their job! I tell myself to have a peaceful day everyday.

There is definitely no driving sense in this city and for that matter in any other city in India. Being in Chennai for the past few months, I’m a victim of this stress and two minor accidents of which my skin is yet to get back normal from the last one. Whenever I see it I remind myself to drive responsibly and safely and its for you as well.

No comments: