Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Its all in the Game

There are three things in the world which take over almost every human in the universe. 1. The alcohol “kick”; 2. The nicotine “kick” and 3. The football kick..! A survey during last world cup revealed that football is on top of sex and mother for males. When the ball is taken near the goal post and gets passed in between the players for a goal, my excitement level shoots up irrespective of which team is playing. And if it is the team plays, I forget the surroundings.

This world cup, I have been making huge noises never minding the neighbor, texting people on the fly during the match in midnight and bunking office hours. I have been supporting Maradona’s team and I felt very bad for they lost to Germany. I have never ever felt like this for India losing to Pakistan in a cricket match. Germans were outstanding in the tournament. Greece and Ghana had played a wonderful game as well.

Argentina may not have a good defense on field but off the field the players have a tremendous defense and it’s from their coach himself and more than that the people of Argentina. The fact that thousands of people gathered to give a supporting welcome backing their team from South Africa is definitely something precious. While Maradona’s position as coach is questioned after the team’s exit, their people were seen holding signs such as “Diego 2014” say it all.

There may be thousands of controversies around. But, no matter what, Maradona is my favorite player. If there was a crowd to watch the match, there was a crowd to watch the legendary player too in the field. Wish I could be designated as the photographer to shoot him during the match. It was pure entertainment to watch his love for football and I did share his emotions while the team lost.

After the famous Hand of God goal in 1986 Maradona said, "I was waiting for my teammates to embrace me, and no one came... I told them, “Come hug me, or the referee isn't going to allow it." Hand of God got its name from this line of the player - "a little with the head of Maradona and a little with the hand of God". The frustrated England team manager stated it as “Hand of a Rascal” during the press report.

Short in height, he moves like a snake in the field. The videos on the internet will tell you about the legend better than my words. Actually, people who are short are fast in the field. It was that short guy Bala Murugan who had coached me. Very few of my friends reading this will believe that I play football.

And Maradona is a reason that I am back to follow football after a long gap. It was a football match I played which shattered a dream of mine 8 years back. Since then I had stopped playing and following the game. But when I came to know Maradona becoming the coach of the team I couldn’t stop myself getting into the game again. Argentina may have lost the word cup but they haven’t lost the game. They have certainly played a beautiful game far better than other teams and I am looking out for a Argentine jersey.

This is not just a game. Its a religion and you dont have to be a religious leader to reach heaven. Following it itself takes you there.

Do you know Osama Bin Laden is a hard football fan?? Goooogle to believe it or not and find which team he supported... :)

2 comments:

Vijay Ramani S said...

"Very few of my friends reading this will believe that I play football."

Hey, can u name some of them???;-)

R R R said...

i expected u here after our conversation Mr. Ramani..those friends are where i did my studies in hostel..Balamurugan, Amulraj,VijayShankar,Balasubramaniam and thats all i remember.our NCC co-cadet Karthikeyan and Dilip too.. :) :)

unakku bathil solrathu vethalathukku bathil solra mathiri irukku. but the diff is, u r complete crap and vethalam is full of wisdom.

ethuvum thittiratha da nallavane...