Friday, July 16, 2010

Sorry...wrong number...

Sometimes a stupidity turns to be funny and vice versa too.

Being in Mumbai and wanting to get my return ticket booked, I called up a colleague sitting in Bangalore to get the travel desk contact number. Dialing the number, a girl picked up. I started telling my requirements. There was a pause on the other side and I heard “wrong number”. And she hung the call.

I checked the number I had dialed. It was right! Telling my colleague about this he felt strange. He is a frequent traveler and dials the number to the travel desk every time! I thought probably the team would have shifted to a new building and tried a possible new number. No response! I again dialed the first number and it was the same hello. This time I responded “Travel Desk…?

She: No, sorry. This is not travel desk!
Me: Sorry

And I hung the call. My colleague tried the same number and he got through and asked me to try again. I felt hesitating. I had to return another call to Bangalore office and thought I will make this call and then dial the travel desk again. Dialed and the response was “The number doesn’t exist…” I thought something wrong with making calls to my Bangalore office.

I had to call the travel desk. Had no option to book my tickets! Tried again! Same girl, same hello… This time I started asking for a specific name in the travel desk.

She: No, there is no one by that name here…
Me: That’s travel desk right..!
She: No, this is not.
Me: Which place is this..! This is our office travel desk number
She: No, this is residence and I am Sneha
Me: Sneha, sorry but this is the number of my travel desk and all my colleagues use this only.
She: Oh! I am sorry but this is my residence number for a long time
Me: Okay..! Sorry for the disturbance…Hopefully I won’t call to hear you again…
She: It’s okay. Don’t feel sorry. And even if you are dialing again here, you will hear my granny’s voice and not mine as I am leaving out now
Me: Oh..! then I guess I wont be dialing again for sure
She: [Laughs]
Me: [laughs here too] anyways, I am sorry and… you have a nice voice.
She: thank you…

Bye”, “Bye”. Call ended. For the next few minutes I did not remember anything like I have to get my return tickets or anything of that sort.

My colleague friend called up and asked me whether I got through or not. It was like waking me up from sleep. “No” was my answer. He then tried to call the travel desk and got the correct line. He then had set up a conference call. I conveyed my requirements and requested the helpdesk people to call me by themselves. Ticket got booked.

Few hours passed by and suddenly something flashed in my mind which was very funny. {My colleague gave me the Bangalore help desk number. I am in Mumbai and it means if I am dialing Bangalore, I had to prefix the STD code} I had dialed the number without the STD code and my calls have landed to Sneha’s residence in Mumbai all the three times and when I asked which place was that, she did not tell me the locality! It was just funny that I dialed a number without a STD code and it landed in a different city.

I thought I should share it with Sneha and called her again with full intention. With a 2 second response came out a voice.

Helloooooo…

It was her granny. I hung the call myself saying “Sorry…wrong number...!”

2 comments:

Kishore Balasubramanian said...

so finall it was a remarkable wrong number for u....atleast u hd a cha ith sneha through this....nadathu da......kadalaiya pathi innume nee pesathey

R R R said...

ithu summa da..

"remarkable wrong number" - hee hee hee