Tuesday, July 27, 2010

കേരളം - கேரளம் - Keralam

When Madras got changed to Chennai, I neither supported nor was opposed to it, but I continued to use the name Madras wherever I could. Even now in some conversations I use the name Madras. It gives a sense of nostalgia of the city. Same with Bombay and Calcutta!

Now, it’s the turn of a state to get it renamed. Kerala to “Keralam”! I am in full support of this name change. Kerala is also good but “Keralam” is too good. I am not a Malayalee but Malayalam is a language which I like most after my mother tongue Tamil. Kerala, the state, its people, and the language connect with nature and there is something the way they speak which represents the rich culture and the evergreen nature of the state. The name “Keralam” sounds closer to it than Kerala.

Read somewhere that a Kerala Travel Association official had spoken against this name change as this will not attract tourists. And another reason he states against the name change is that tourists are finding it difficult to pronounce the new names. He had cited Trivandrum changed to “Thiruvananthapuram”. To me Thiruvananthapuram sounds beautiful.

My question to him would be how easy for him is to pronounce “Braunschweig”, “Kaiserslautern” and other European city names!? It’s not the tourists who build a place and preserve the culture right!?

Altogether, both my thumbs up for Kerala getting its new beautiful name “Keralam”. Wish I could have known to write this post in Malayalam.

4 comments:

nMn said...

i frankly hope.. the b****y politicians can utilise the tax payers money for some useful purpose rather than changing city/state names and going about incurring expenditures on changes in printing, etc, etc.,

R R R said...

understand your concern dude..its a pan India issue and looks like the corruption disease has spread over. blve me, i have dipped my hand in politics and unless otherwise politics also is made a stream in academics and educated ppl come into action, this is not gonna change..and do not dream of any positive change in our generation..may be during the next.!

Unknown said...

My question to him would be how easy for him is to pronounce “Braunschweig”, “Kaiserslautern” and other European city names!? It’s not the tourists who build a place and preserve the culture right!?

>>> Good one. I like this view

R R R said...

Guru - thanks...ellam unga aasirvaatham...